SFMTA is temporarily rerouting the K-Ingleside and J-Church around the Balboa Park Station starting Tuesday, September 6 for approximately four months.
Some of the improvements that will be made during the service changes include:
- Replacing switches and tracks inside the station for long-term maintenance
- Relocating the three existing poles along the J/K walkway for pedestrian safety
- Installing a new, accessible platform in the station
- Upgrading the electrical system and tracks at Ocean Avenue and I-280, where trains enter and exit the Muni Green Yard, adjacent to the station
To minimize impacts to customers, SFMTA coordinated three construction projects’ schedules to work inside the station at the same time – Balboa Park Station Area Improvements, Green Light Rail Track Replacements and BART’s Eastside Connection.
While the three contractors work inside and around the station, the J-Church and K-Ingleside lines will be rerouted around Balboa Park, see map below:
K-Ingleside Temporary Changes
The first and last stop for the K-Ingleside will be the City College Pedestrian Bridge stop on Ocean Avenue. There will be no direct K service to the Balboa Park Station.
There are two options for K riders to access Balboa Park Station. Muni riders can transfer at Ocean & Lee to the following Muni routes:
- 29-Sunset (transfer to the Ocean and Lee stop in front of Whole Foods).
- 49-Van Ness/Mission (transfer to the Phelan bus loop at Ocean and Phelan)
- 8-Bayshore (transfer to the Phelan bus loop at Ocean and Phelan)
Muni riders can also walk about three accessible blocks from the City College Pedestrian Bridge stop to the Ocean Avenue entrance of the station.
|CURRENT STOPS||STOP FOR BUS TRANSFER||STOP FOR WALKING|
|BOARDING AREA||Balboa Park Station boarding island||Board train at Ocean & Lee
Transfer from Routes: 8,29,49
|Board train at City College Pedestrian Bridge|
|DROP-OFF AREA||Balboa Park Station drop-off area||Exit train at Ocean & Lee
Transfer to Routes: 8,29,49
|Exit train at City College Pedestrian Bridge|
J-Church Temporary Changes
During this time, the J Church Line will use San Jose Avenue for both inbound and outbound directions. The temporary locations to board and off-board will be as follows:
|CURRENT STOPS||TEMPORARY STOPS|
|BOARDING AREA||Balboa Park Station boarding island||Southeast corner of San Jose at Geneva Ave, across the street from the inbound M line stop
*Accessible boarding at Seneca Ave
|DROP-OFF AREA||Balboa Park Station drop-off area||Existing accessible M line stop on San Jose Ave at Geneva Ave